IASLT TALKING MATS ONLINE FOUNDATION TRAINING
This training course is supported by funding from the National HSCP Office, and is only open to SLTs employed by a publicly-funded organisation.
Dates: This course will be delivered online in small groups. The next training group starts on 8th August 2022 and will run for 4-6 weeks.
Places will be offered on a first come first served basis, once criteria outlined are met, and application is approved.
Talking Mats is a person-centred communication framework that helps
children and adults:
- think about and express their views;
- have more choice and control in their lives;
- Be more involved in decisions that affect them.
It is based on extensive research and designed by Speech and Language
Therapists. It uses specially designed symbols and is widely used within
Health, Social Work, Residential and Education settings.
The training allows you to:
- Understand and use the Talking Mats framework;
- Think creatively about how to use Talking Mats in your setting;
- Reflect on your own communication.
- Four modules. Each module consists of 2-3 hours self-directed learning per week followed by a live training session via zoom. Attendance at the live training session is mandatory.
- Recorded presentations, videos and activities to consolidate learning;
- Assignments, including making and submitting a short film of using a Talking Mat and
written reflections on your use of the resource;
- Zoom discussion sessions.